Director of Advocacy Campaigns Communications and Media
The Director of Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media is a key role in the DRC CO, bringing strategic leadership on policy, advocacy and communications and raising the profile of the issues facing children in the DRC, and of Save the Children’s work in the country. The job holder is a member of the Senior Management Team and will drive advocacy and communications to advance Save the Children’s policy positions and influence decision-makers, both at national level and internationally. In so doing, the Director of ACCM will shape and implement Save the Children’s efforts to influence and bring about change in the awareness, attitudes, behaviours and policies related to the rights of children in DRC.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
- Strong leadership and management expertise demonstrated success in team building, capacity building of staff and mentoring and prior experience in senior management teams.
- Significant experience of planning and implementing successful advocacy and campaigns work in humanitarian contexts.
- Ability to prioritize during humanitarian crises and drive the production of compelling communications and advocacy products at short notice to respond to crises as they occur.
- Expert at networking and building alliances both within organizations and externally with peer organizations, UN agencies and donors.
- Deep understanding of key humanitarian actors - including UN agencies and bilateral donors - and how they coordinate and operate.
- Excellent command of French and English, both verbal and written.
- Proven experience of external representation and lobbying of high-level targets.
- synthesize complex information into concise and compelling policy briefing notes and advocacy documents.
- Proven experience of using media for advocacy purposes.
- Ability to coordinate and work with diverse groups of people based in multiple locations.
- Ability to manage complex workloads and stressful situations.
- Good personal organizational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Information Communication Technology advanced skills
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children International’s aims, values and principles.
- Working experience in DRC or other countries of the Great Lake’s context in challenging and insecure areas.
Contract length: 24 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerat
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.